Shoyu Chicken

Yet another local-Hawaiian (with Asian flare) favorite of mine. I made shoyu chicken for dinner tonight and my house still smells so good. It was torture for the entire hour it was baking in the oven!

Below is the original recipe and my changes are in parentheses. So let's get started. You're going to need:

8 chicken thighs (I only used 5 because my family is small and I like to use the extra sauce for other things. I also leave the skin on the chicken thighs to keep them moist while they cook.)

Sauce:
1 tsp. MSG (obviously did not add this)
¼ cup corn oil (used vegetable oil, because that's what I had)
¼ cup soy sauce
¼ cup brown sugar
1 clove garlic, crushed
½ tsp. grated ginger

Mix together sauce ingredients. Place chicken thighs in pan, pour sauce over chicken and bake at 325 degrees for 1 hour, turning chicken twice during baking. Skim fat from sauce, if desired. (There wasn't any fat to skim... always a bonus!)

The result? Mouth-watering goodness:

As soon as the chicken got done baking in the oven, I turned on the stove burner and cooked up some fresh veggies... fresh string beans and onion. I added 4 spoonfuls of the sauce from the pan of chicken, a teaspoon more garlic, and a dash or two more of soy sauce. Cooked them until tender enough for an almost-2-year-old to enjoy.

And this is how I like to eat it:

The rice is part brown, part white. I also like to drizzle the extra sauce from the chicken over the rice for a sweeter alternative to plain soy sauce. ENJOY!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Crockpot Kalua Pig

Apple Cream Pennies

Blueberry Cream Cheese Dessert