Spanish Rice

Here is a dish my dad used to make frequently. My mom's mom (Mary Baynor Whitley) had a recipe for Spanish rice and my guess is that he may have seen this recipe and decided to jazz it up and make it his very own. Another possibility is that his mom (Juliette Otholt Crosson) may have had her own version of it that she made when he was young. Either way, this version is my dad's and it's the yummiest I've ever had.

Spanish Rice

Recipe Source: My Dad


Ingredients:
1 lb. ground hamburger
3-4 c. rice (brown or white)
1 onion, diced
1 green bell pepper, diced
1 small can black olives, diced
1 can tomato pieces
1 can tomato sauce
1 can of corn
1 package (2 cups) shredded cheddar cheese

Directions:
Brown hamburger and drain grease. Add onion and bell pepper. Cook until tender. Reduce heat. Add olives, tomato pieces, and corn. Add cooked rice. Mix well. Add tomato sauce, and mix again until everything is coated. Put in casserole dish and sprinkle top with cheese. Bake at 350 until cheese is melted.

In case you need some step-by-step photos to see the beautiful colors, here you go:






Side Note: I was nervous about adding the olives because my husband told me he doesn't like them, but said that he did used to eat them as a kid. I went ahead and assumed that he just doesn't remember if he likes them or not because it's probably been too long since he's had anything with olives. After dinner, he said he couldn't taste them. I imagine he just doesn't know what they taste like anymore but they were definitely part of the flavor of the meal.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Crockpot Kalua Pig

Apple Cream Pennies

Blueberry Cream Cheese Dessert