Orange Sweet Potato Cups

At holidays when I was a kid, my dad's entire family gathered up at my grandparents house in Ahualoa and we all enjoyed a potluck style holiday feast. At one of these occasions when I was about 4 or so, my Auntie Debbie (another great cook in the family) made a dessert/side dish that consisted of marshmallows, something orange and fluffy, all stuffed into an orange peel. For years I have thought about it and while searching through recipes last year at Christmas, I found a magazine clipping of a recipe for something VERY similar to what my Auntie Debbie had made so many years ago.

One bonus of this recipe is that my daughter (who was just over a year old at the time) absolutely loved it! What baby doesn't love sweet potatoes?

The photo on the magazine clipping showed four mini-marshmallows on each orange cup, so that's what I did (as you can see from my picture). Because I LOVE toasted marshmallows, it just was not enough. Next time I make this, I am topping the entire thing with a layer of marshmallows (which I vaguely remember being what Auntie Debbie did). They compliment the sweet potato mixture so well.

And now for the recipe:

3 large sweet potatoes
1 (6 oz.) can of thawed orange juice concentrate
¼ c. packed brown sugar
¼ c. half-and-half cream
2 Tbsp. butter
¾ c. miniature marshmallows
¼ c. pecans, chopped
4 large oranges, halved

Peel and cube the sweet potatoes and place them in a pot of water. Bring them to a boil, reduce heat, cover, and cook for 25 minutes or until tender. Drain the water. Combine the softened sweet potatoes, orange juice concentrate, brown sugar, half-and-half, and butter in a large mixing bowl. Beat on low speed until smooth. Gently stir in the marshmallows and pecans.

Half the oranges and remove the orange from the peel so that you have an orange peel “cup”. Put the sweet potato mixture into the orange cups. Top the sweet potato mixture with extra marshmallows.

Place the orange cups into a greased baking pan. Bake uncovered at 350 for 15-20 minutes or until heated through and the marshmallows on top are slightly browned.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Crockpot Kalua Pig

Apple Cream Pennies

Blueberry Cream Cheese Dessert