Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas

This is one of my favorite but seldom made recipes. It is extremely high in calories (part of why it tastes so good) so I only make it about once a year on a special occasion. For right now, that special occasion is Bridget's birthday. I made this on both her 1st and 2nd birthdays because it's very kid-friendly to eat.

Here is what you'll need:

3 lbs. chicken (skinless & boneless)
5 cans cream of chicken soup
2 c. sour cream
1 (4-oz.) can chopped green chiles
2 c. grated jack cheese
2 c. grated cheddar cheese
12 flour tortillas

First, steam (or boil) the chicken. After it is fully cooked, chop it up into small pieces (this is also the time to trim any fat from the chicken).

In a very large mixing bowl, combine the cream of chicken soup, sour cream, green chiles, and 2 c. of jack cheese and 1 c. of cheddar cheese. Mix well. Then add the chopped chicken.

Spread 12 flour tortillas with mixture, roll up, and lay in casserole dish (I use two 9X13 casserole dishes because only 6 tortillas fit in each. This works out great because I can just cook one dish at a time and cook the second dish a couple of days later. I've thought about freezing the second one but have yet to do so to see how it'll turn out).

After the tortillas are nicely set in the pans, pour over the remaining sauce.


Sprinkle the remaining 1 c. grated cheddar cheese over all and bake at 350 for 35-45 minutes, uncovered. End result? Refer to picture at the top of this post.

To make myself feel a bit better about eating this high-calorie dish, I have steamed broccoli as a side vegetable. My husband is not a broccoli lover so I also prepare some corn for him. Both go well with the enchiladas.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Crockpot Kalua Pig

Apple Cream Pennies

Blueberry Cream Cheese Dessert