Stuffed Pumpkin Dinner

Last November, I attended a dinner party thrown by some women at church for those who serve in the Primary program. As a Primary Sunday School teacher, I was lucky to be able to attend. The theme of the dinner was centered primarily around pumpkins... there were pumpkin dinner rolls and something else I had never seen before: "Dinner in a Pumpkin". The woman who cooked it said that she made it every Halloween for her family. It was one of the cutest ideas I had ever seen and I hadn't forgotten about it so I decided to attempt it this year for our Halloween dinner. Over the weekend, my husband and I took our 2-year-old to the local pumpkin patch and we picked out a pumpkin special for this meal. I then got home and looked all over the internet for recipes and they were all so different. Keeping in mind my husbands picky eating habits, I combined and edited a few of the recipes I found and this is what I came up with!

Stuffed Pumpkin Dinner

Recipe Source: Creation by Jenny, with inspiration from Marcie

Ingredients:
1 medium pumpkin (5 ½ - 6 lbs.)
1 tsp. salt
1 lb. ground beef
1 medium onion, chopped
1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
2 c. rice, cooked
1 (8-oz.) can tomato sauce
2 eggs, beaten
1 garlic clove, minced
1 tsp. oregano
½ tsp. pepper
½ tsp. cider vinegar

Directions:
Wash the pumpkin and cut a 6” circle around the stem. Remove seeds and loose fibers. Place pumpkin in a large pot and fill about half way with boiling water. Add ½ tsp. salt, cover pot, and simmer for 30 minutes or until the pumpkin is tender but still holds its shape. Remove the pumpkin and drain well.

In a large skillet, cook the ground beef, onion, and bell pepper. Drain oil and place in large mixing bowl. Add cooked rice, tomato sauce, eggs, garlic, oregano, pepper, vinegar, and ½ tsp. salt. Mix well.

Spoon this mixture into the pumpkin, packing it down firmly. Replace the top of the pumpkin and place the pumpkin in a shallow baking pan. Put it in the oven and bake at 350 for 1 hour.


My husband (who HATES anything pumpkin) loved the dinner and also commented on the presentation of it. I also thought it turned out very well. I do wish I had cooked the pumpkin a bit longer in the pot on the stove to make the inside that much more tender to be able to scoop out and eat with the rice (because pumpkin IS a vegetable, you know... and we all could use more veggies in our diet). This will most definitely become a Halloween/Fall dinner in our family! Who knew... there are more to pumpkins than just pie.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Crockpot Kalua Pig

Apple Cream Pennies

Blueberry Cream Cheese Dessert