Shredded Chicken Enchiladas

Being 28 weeks pregnant, I occasionally get cravings for certain foods. This week, I was craving Mexican food made with corn tortillas. Any other tortilla wasn't going to do. I had never worked with corn tortillas before because I know that they're easy to crumble. But this is what the baby wanted so I gave in. I decided to make chicken enchiladas with what I had in my pantry and freezer. The only thing I had to buy were the tortillas.

Shredded Chicken Enchiladas

Recipe Source: Original Creation by Jenny

Ingredients:
1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2 (10-oz.) cans of enchilada sauce (mild because I have a 2 y/o)
Salt
Pepper
1 c. fiesta blend cheese (or Cheddar & Monterrey Jack)
2 Tbsp. fresh cilantro
2 cloves garlic, minced
12 6-inch corn tortillas

Directions:
Combine enchilada sauce and minced garlic in deep skillet and heat to boiling, then lower heat.

Sprinkle thawed chicken breasts with salt and pepper. Add the chicken breasts to the sauce.

Cover and cook until chicken is cooked through (about 15 minutes). When chicken is cooked, remove from the sauce and shred. Transfer shredded chicken into large bowl. Add half of the remaining enchilada sauce, ½ c. cheese, and cilantro. Stir until combined.

Prepare corn tortillas by wrapping them in a damp paper towel and microwaving for 20 seconds. Spray baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. Spoon about ¼ c. of chicken into the center of each corn tortilla, roll up, and place seam-side down into baking dish.

Pour remaining enchilada sauce over enchiladas, sprinkle with cheese, and bake at 350 for 15 minutes or until cheese is melted and enchiladas are heated through.
They turned out REALLY good considering the chef has not one ounce of Hispanic blood running through her veins. Even my husband enjoyed them and wants me to make them again soon. We had it with Spanish rice (Rice-A-Roni variety... I can only cook so much from scratch in one day) and refried beans.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Crockpot Kalua Pig

Apple Cream Pennies

Blueberry Cream Cheese Dessert